by Stuart Kaufman
I have discovered the secret for creating Job Security as a Real Estate agent. Okay. Maybe it’s not such a big secret, since almost every agent already knows about it. But I guarantee that few actually do it consistently. So what’s the big secret?
It’s this: Calling your past clients and Sphere for one hour/day creates job security.
It’s true! By spending one hour a day calling your past clients and sphere, you are almost guaranteed Job Security. Even when the market is shifting.
So, here is the formula for insuring your Job Security:
1. Know Who is in Your Sphere: Make a list of everyone who knows you, likes you, and trusts you. Your past clients need to be on the top of your list. Also your top referral sources.
2. Have the Right Tools: Use a contact management system to keep track of your Sphere’s information and record the highlights of conversations. Or, if you prefer low-tech, just keep a 3 ring binder with a page for each person in your Sphere. And, practice what you want to say when you call your past clients, so your calls are impactful.
3. The 80/20 Rule: Focus on the 20% of the people in your Sphere who provide you with 80% of your referrals. These are your “A” Advocates who deserve special attention. Meet with them every 3 months and thank them for their support.
4. Create a Routine: Establish a specific time to call your past clients and Sphere. Successful agents call first thing in the morning, every weekday for one hour. They close their office door, they clear their desk of distractions, they close their e-mail, they forward their phone and they focus on personally connecting to their Sphere. For one hour. One agent I know takes his shoes off and leaves them outside his door so others know he is not to be disturbed.
5. Always Ask Who You Can Help: Ask your past clients who they know who you can provide help and support, just like you did for them. When we do this, we are giving, not taking. Asking for referrals is part of your job and helps maintain a consistent flow of new business.
6. Supplement Your Calls with Monthly Mailings: Most agents are good at doing mailings because it is easier to send mail than pick up the phone. Remember that mailings are an appetizer, not the entrée. Send Real Estate related information.
So, call your past clients and Sphere, ask a few questions, listen, and share what is going on with you in a brief 5-10 minute conversation. By doing this for one hour, 5 days/week, you will help insure your Job Security. Need help? Go to www.GetYourSphereInGear.com.
About the Author: Stuart Kaufman, MS, MBA, is a Real Estate Business Educator and Coach who has coached, trained, and inspired over 1,500 Real Estate Professionals to take their business to the next level while making more time to enjoy themselves and their families. He is a regular contributor to numerous Real Estate publications nationwide and is the head administrator of the Puget Sound School of Real Estate in Seattle, WA. Stuart can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Published: October 5, 2009
Use of this article without permission is a violation of federal copyright laws .
Copyright © 2008 Realty Times. All Rights Reserved.