Source: The Concrete Producer/Concrete Journal
Publication date: August 1, 1995
By No Author Abstract:
Recruiting, hiring and training new employees can be expensive and time-consuming. It is essential to hire the right employee the first time around. A proper selection program enables employers to obtain the best-qualified employees. These guidelines are designed to help avoid pitfalls and hire the best person for the job.
1. If you don't need new employees, don't recruit and don't accept applications.
2. If you do need new employees, first recruit from within. Many qualified candidates may already be available within your organization.
3. Give all prospective candidates an equal opportunity for selection.
4. Accept employment applications only on official company application forms.
5. Ensure that your employment application form is legally sound and adequately protects your interests.
6. Ensure that interviewers are trained to ask the right questions and avoid the wrong ones.
7. Conduct all necessary background investigations and reference checks.
8. Evaluate all candidates based on objective criteria derived from essential job functions and individual qualifications.
9. Make sure that the right person makes the final decision after carefully considering all relevant job-related information.
10. Be consistent and fair throughout the process to all applicants.
The full text of this article is available as a PDF document.
Click here to read full article from The Concrete Producer